In the early spring, after the Haiti earthquake, Brian, my Bible study, college pastors, song leaders, and I put together a fundraiser for Haiti relief and raised $580.
|The prayer wall|
Also in May, my sister gave birth to my sweet baby niece, and I became and aunt.
In July, after that week of packing, we spent a week driving to Arizona.
Brian started his new job.
We met new friends, moved into our home sweet apartment, and found a new "family" at Southeast Valley Baptist Church, and began adjusting to all the changes.
In August I transfered and started attending Arizona State University, beginning my new major in technical communication after switching from English literature.
In August I turned twenty.
I went to California for the first time to visit my SIL in Los Angeles.
In October Brian and I spent three days camping.
I bought a car.
In December we flew back to Iowa to visit our family and friends over the holidays.
Crazy, right? To further process all that's gone on in the last twelve months, I'm using some questions for reflection that I got from the free PDF offered here on Simple Mom.
1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?
Brian and I got married!
2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
Moving across the country without really knowing where we would live.
3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?
4. What was an unexpected obstacle?
Brian's work difficulties; I certainly didn't expect them to affect us both so much.
5. Pick three words to describe 2010.
Adventure, Challenging, Growing.
7. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe their 2010 (again, without asking).
Challenging, Stretching, Learning
8. What were the best books you read this year?
Outlive Your Life, and Crazy Love
9. With whom were your most valuable relationships?
10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
Learning to trust God with more and more of myself and my future.
11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
I strove to focus on blessings and joys during times of discouragement instead of allowing myself to spiral lower emotionally.
12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?
I tried to focus more on spending quality time with God and deepening my relationship with Him, especially when I felt lonely.
13. In what way(s) did you grow physically?
14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?
I did better about maintaining long distance friendships and keeping in better contact with people after we moved.
15. What was the most enjoyable part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
Decorating out apartment and finding good deals. It's so much fun!
16. What was the most challenging part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
Doing unpleasant jobs, such as cleaning toilets and washing dishes, because they have to be done.
17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
18. What was the best way you used your time this past year?
Reading blogs and writing mine. I've gained so much from reading others' writing and being able to share my own.
19. What was biggest thing you learned this past year?
The power of finding joy in every day.
20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2010 for you.
2010; The Year of Changes.
I know there's a lot of questions there, but I'd encourage you to take the time to download the PDF and reflect on your past year. I think you'll find it valuable to evaluate your growth and reflect on what God's done in your life in 2010.
How would you answer question 20? Leave a comment and tell me how you would describe your year.